At the centre of your being you have the answer, you know who you are and you know what you want ~ Lao Tzu

Tuesday, February 21

Virtual Coffee - Happy Shrove Tuesday!

I don't know why, but I've always loved Shrove Tuesday...


Maybe because pancakes were such a treat growing up! My mother always cooked full 'meat and two veg' meals - very good for us, but rather worthy :)

The above picture is from Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course, as is this fool-proof recipe....


Delia's simple, clear instructions got me through college - sadly, I didn't get my mother's cooking gene :( - and my hardback copy died about a decade ago... this is a well-tabbed paperback version :)

How do you like your pancakes?
I'm a simple soul - sprinkling of sugar (fake diabetic variety!), with a squeeze of orange juice :)

My daughter - who did get the baking gene - usually makes herself Scotch pancakes, rather than the crepe variety...


So, of course, Lent begins tomorrow...

I'm not a great give-something-up-for-Lent person, but I will read this every day throughout the 6 weeks...


... and make time each morning to ponder Richard's wise words...

Now, to other news and chit-chat... by the way, does your coffee need a top up? Another biscuit?...

... I had a very exciting parcel arrive last week...

It was from artist Kate Boyce, in Hebden Bridge, and I was one of the VERY lucky ones to win in her giveaway!! And this is what I won...



It's one of Kate's stunning lampshades from her etsy shop House of Chintz. This one's called 'Buddleia of Suburbia' - the photo certainly doesn't do it justice!!

Also, this week this Amazon purchase arrived...





It's a children's paperback of the Greek myths as retold by Ann Turnbull, but I bought it for Sarah Young's stunning illustrations...



Again, my photos don't do them justice, especially with all the glare!! But can you work out the stories??
*Answers at the bottom of the post :)

I discovered Sarah's work through her etsy shop, and while I cannot afford her proper prints, I can enjoy her work in this book :)

And I adore the Greek myths - I had a Ladybird version growing up, and it was one of my must-read bed-time books, and Jason and the Argonauts was an absolute favourite film!!

And I cannot end the week's news without mentioning the 6-1 win over Brighton on Sunday :) Sadly it wasn't one of the matches shown on TV and enjoyed with my Dad, who came over for the weekend, but I've enjoyed the highlights!!

Almost forgot...

Here's my Inspiration Avenue Challenge entry I made yesterday... and you can read about it here...


Phew!! This has turned into quite a post!!

Thank you for stopping by and letting me spout away :)

I'm now popping over to Amy's to catch up on the others' news of the past week...

Hope to see you next Tuesday :)
xxx






*Theseus and the Minotaur, Pegasus the winged horse, and King Midas :)

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Happy Pancake day! Am just in the process of plotting what pancakes to have this evening, as Dad and Simon don't have any ingredients in! Anyway, as I don't have a kitchen at home at the moment, I'm more than happy to do the baking :) I love sugar and orange juice, or sometimes a bit of golden syrup, may be a bit of ice cream? I even like savoury ones, so just cheese and ham would do me. I won't be eating that many though!

Haven't deicded what to give up yet, but it's usually fizzy drinks and chocolate/biscuits/crisps - whichever I've over indulged on since Christmas :)

Looking forward to a proper coffee and catch up tomorrow, but this one will keep me going.

See you soon xx

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Exciting!! I always love getting stuff in the mail - and giveaway prizes are even better! :)

Origei said...

Hi Claire!

Am glad to have discovered your blog! And from this particular post - Sarah Young's work... its so powerful, and i really appreciate her sense of texture and color. Thanks for sharing!

Neerja
(Origei on Etsy)