At the centre of your being you have the answer, you know who you are and you know what you want ~ Lao Tzu

Friday, March 18

Friday Fun: EDM challenge no. 97



Draw a present you have received. Why is it special?
A quick 5-minute sketch of a
poetry book my dear friend from Santa Barbara sent a couple of weeks ago, and a fun doodle of the gift wrap it came in (done a few days ago while listening to the footie... of course...).
There are a number of reasons why it's special:
1. It's from a special person far away...
2. I'd never heard of Tony Hoagland before she sent me a poem in an email a few weeks ago.
3. I love being introduced to writers unknown to me - one of the perks of friendship :)
4. It was bought from a favourite independent bookshop, where they giftwrap beautifully - they even put a sticker over the price.
5. Their logo is a cute black cat who adorns the aforementioned sticker :)
Here's a sample poem:
Field Guide
Once, in the cool blue middle of a lake,
up to my neck in that most precious element of all,
I found a pale-gray, curled-upwards pigeon feather
floating on the tension of the water
at the very instant when a dragonfly,
like a blue-green iridescent bobby pin,
hovered over it, then lit, and rested.
That’s all.
I mention this in the same way
that I fold the corner of a page
in certain library books,
so that the next reader will know
where to look for the good parts.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely post and sketches in your book!

Ellen Burkett said...

I envy you...what a great poem that is. Must be more inside that book. Nice drawings!

Anonymous said...

Lovely book (beautifully wrapped) and lovely poem - thank you for sharing. I'd never heard to Tony Hoagland before. And now I have :)

poppy m said...

Hi Claire - the link to the bookshop brought blast of impressions from my visit to California years ago, Gosh - that was a pleasant surprise!
Keep on drawing & blogging!