At the centre of your being you have the answer, you know who you are and you know what you want ~ Lao Tzu

Thursday, May 3

IA Challenge - Days of the Week

This week's Inspiration Avenue's challenge asked questions of me emotionally and physically...

I met the physical challenge by making a postcard for the Postcard Swap fit the requirements - the proverbial two birds, one stone :)

So one of you will receive this in the post in the next couple of weeks...


It's my attempt to draw Madeleine Peryoux's Half the Perfect World album cover...


... looks nothing like her, but there's a certain charm, I guess...

No, the deeper challenge for me, this week, was emotional... I was born on a Tuesday (full of grace...), and I was teased (mercilessly, to my mind) by my mother that I was Clumsy Claire, a 'fairy elephant', 'as much grace as a hobnailed boot'...

... my mother was mentally unstable, and my childhood was difficult... and all often it's her voice still playing in my head...

But I drowned out that voice, by playing Madeleine's CD as i worked on the drawing... letting the swoop and fall of her rich, rich voice wash over me... reminding me that grace has many forms - not just the physical...

It's an inner beauty too... being thoughtful, kind, gracious... being open to life's blessings... being, like Mary - the archetypal Mother - accepting of all that befell her, whether she understood it or not...

The past week has been full of life and death... you can read more here... so I've been on an emotional rollercoaster... and I'm sorry, this hasn't been a very fun, upbeat post, but it's a deeply honest one, and sometimes that's what Life asks you to express...








19 comments:

Maggie said...

She is a graceful beauty! I think you have done an excellent rendition of the album cover. Someone will be thrilled to receive it in the swap!

I'm also a Tuesday's child...I've never been "graceful" but I feel fortunate that there was no one reminding me of the fact constantly. I'm sorry you had to go through that as a child. You're right...music has a way of washing all that away.

BTW, I have your name in the swap! I'll be sending you a postcard :) Just a note of warning though...I'm not one of those people who have their cards all finished and ready to go. Don't know why things take me so long, but I'm sure I'll have them done in a couple of weeks! I like your idea of "two birds with one stone". Too bad I started my piece for the IA challenge on a 9 x 12 page :/

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I treasure your transparency, Claire, and your faithfulness to your journey. I am very glad you allowed yourself to flow and be nourished by music as you tended to the drawing. It is quite lovely. May the coming days and weeks bring you more ease and joy. Blessings!

peggy gatto said...

She
IS
GRACE!
Lovely!!!

Lisa Richards said...

Yes, sometimes we need to express some honest feelings on our blogs so others know they aren't alone. I haven't experienced what you went through, but we all have things that we can share to help others. Love your painting! Would you believe I just figured out that Maukie likes to play with the cursor? :)

gma said...

Great rendering Claire....love Madeleine Peryoux.

Terrie said...

Beautifully drawn - the recipient will surely appreciate the talent and emotion. I'm just starting to work on mine for the swap..... Even though my childhood was a good one, I was known affectionately (I hope) as the 'baby elephant' because I have such a heavy tread and lumber around. At least I assume that's why. That nickname is often in the back of my mind, so I understand how words can stick for years - whether they're said in kindness or anger. Hope you have a happy Friday.

anca gray said...

oh, claire, but you ARE grace!

fairy thoughts said...

your drawing is lovely, have a good week sorry I am a bit late
janet #43

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's hard when you have a difficult childhood, but you draw SO well and this postcard is truly "full of grace"

Diane ~ said...

i think your piece is lovely! ~
~ Not being bitter despite hurt and pain, is Grace in action. ~ (hug)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Your postcard is beautiful--I hope I am one of the recipients! Sorry to read about the loss which overshadows so much happiness. You are an inspiration.

I agree it is fun to send our art around the globe--thanks for your lovely comments on my postcards.

Anonymous said...

Oh Claire you are walking through a sad season. My prayers go out to you and your family.

I just came home from a retreat and one of the classes was addressed to mothers and just how important it is to treat our children our gifts with love and respect. Always honoring God for lending them to us. It moved me deeply.

Your post is real and honest. Art and music can be so healing. I love your picture and hope you continue to make and post more.

Have a blessed day.

Kim Collister Studio said...

Are you kidding me? She looks just like the cover! You did a beautiful job of capturing it. You also said it well. I never thought of Grace as being physical. Being "graceful" and having "Grace" are two different things to me. A person who is full of Grace can wear their insides on the outside and treat everyone around them like they matter the most on any given day. I have read your blogs and you wear Grace well!

Happy to see your improvement. Stay encouraged and inspired, YOU MATTER!

XO
Kim

Kim Collister Studio said...

Claire, You are back on the results!
Thanks for letting me know, I just got the email! I don't know what happened, I do apologize for erasing you! This is my first time doing one, can you tell?? LOL

XO
Kim

Shelinwa said...

Love this Clair you did great!!!

Lou Anne Hazel said...

Lovely image for another Tuesday's child. Nicely done!

Darla said...

Your image has something both beautiful and pensive about it. I'm so sorry to hear those words were said to you in your childhood.

Darla

Anonymous said...

there is the right mood in your drawing.
*thinking of you*

Sue Brown said...

The drawing is perfect. And your attitude is perfect too ;)