At the centre of your being you have the answer, you know who you are and you know what you want ~ Lao Tzu

Tuesday, May 15

Virtual Coffee Tuesday - Art & Beauty Abound


Hello again!

What a week it's been....

I have lots to show and tell, but first let's get you settled with your tea (herbal or regular?), coffee (fresh-ground double-choc flavour, or instant decaf?), hot chocolate (skinny or full?), water (with or without lemon?)... whatever you desire...

Well, I haven't been online much since the mini-bleeds in my left eye were cauterized last Wednesday... it was seriously horrible, and the pompous doctor didn't help... he zapped my left eye numerous times and it took me a fair while to recover. They insist it doesn't affect the vision, but I've struggled to read and work at the computer this week, and I've been wearing my glasses a lot more...

*sigh*

I'm sure this experience has just made me appreciate everything I can see this week... (as a diabetic, losing my sight is a deep, deep fear...)

The weather has been awful around Britain, and I confess, I've been watching way too much telly...

I seriously enjoyed this dvd my dear hubbie gave me for my birthday...


... and I've ordered the book to read :)

And, lo and behold, somehow we have access to SkyArts... and I have been in seventh heaven!!

I refuse to line Mr Murdoch's pocket with a Sky subscription, but suddenly our Virgin package (phone, internet, TV box) is showing SkyArts!!

I've watched The Book Show, a documentary on Joni Mitchell, a brilliant programme on The Question Mark Inside - a light installation on the dome and facade of St Paul's and inside the Whispering Gallery by Martin Firrell, and E (my 14-year-old daughter) and I thoroughly enjoyed watching The Next Great Artist together - an Apprentice-type programme, but in E's words 'WAY more interesting!!', and we talked a lot about art and creativity afterwards...

Moments to treasure :)

And in the post on Saturday, this beauty arrived from my dear friend Zorana....


Sadly, I can't get a good photo - poor camera and it's an encaustic painting - and she's soooo beautiful in real life!!

And this, with a precious message on the reverse...


Pears are her new obsession :)

I've 'known' Zorana for years, but we've never met... her artworks adorn our home, and I'll treasure these two as much as all the others... Thank you, my dear friend :)

And finally, I have to show you an extra-special creation I've purchased with my birthday pennies from Nellie Wortman...

I've loved and admired Nellie's work for ages, and have coveted her books from afar... but now, I have THE most beautiful tome on my desk begging me to play inside it!!

Here are just a few of the pages...


front cover


I've already tucked in my pen and pencil ready to play...


blank pages patiently waiting for paint/crayon/collage...


this is a letter dating from 1899!!


and ledger entries from 1926!!



and prepared pages with Nellie's distinctive colours and fabrics...


and two mini fabric collage pages...


back cover
 (I think this unknown gentleman could be an ancestor of David Tennant's)...


And one last pic to show you what an incredible tome this is...



How many hours of fun will I have with this??!!

Well, I think this has to be one my l-o-n-g-e-s-t Virtual Coffee posts, and I'm sure you're more than ready for a refill...

Can't wait to hear about your week...

With much love xxx

 
PS I've just noticed I've now got 50 followers!!
WOW! A BIG thank you to all of you :) xx




6 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

That is a magnificent book! Have tons of fun with it! I'm a little ignorant in the area of these types of books. I didn't know you could buy them partially started like this. Great idea! I liked the fact that she holds it together so simply with two rings. Even I could do that! Inspiration! :D

Anonymous said...

What a unique book, since it's decorated already a little bit it can be less daunting to fill the white pages. I too like the rings.

Pixie Moongazer said...

I'm a bit late, is the kettle still on?
I'm not sure you do want to hear about my week, I'll blog it but don't want to make everyone else miserable too! Mind you, I think we're on a pretty good outcome.
The book is lovely and will be made even more lovely by your additions to it. I hope your eye feels better so you can be getting on with enjoying it x

Pixie Moongazer said...

By the way, I've only got one follower! x

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Looks like you've had an art-filled week! That tome looks really special too. I hope your eyesight continues to improve and that you feel better soon!

HeARTworks said...

What a gorgeous book! You'll surely be inspired! Patsy from
HeARTworks